My current research interests focus on the potential application of satellite remote sensing, GIS and machine learning technology in the domains of smart agriculture, forest phenology, biodiversity and climate change. Currently, I am working on Canadian Boreal and Indian Himalayan forest ecosystems. I am very curious to explore new technologies such as Google Earth Engine (GEE) and R programming for satellite remote sensing based analysis. Over the period of 4 years, I have developed several automatic routines on GEE and R platforms to address various research problems especially for challenging areas where field based collection methods are both expensive and time consuming.
- Oct 2020-Present: Postdoctoral Fellow at McGill University, Montreal, Canada (http://gonzalezlab.weebly.com/team.html ) & (http://elisefilotas.ca/en/team/ )
- Dec 2018-Oct 2020: Postdoctoral Fellow in Department of Fundamental Sciences, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi (UQAC), Canada
- Mar 2017-Nov 2018: Assistant Professor in GIS division (NIIT University, India )
- Jul 2012-Oct 2012: Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering (Marwadi University, India )
Foreign Research Visits
- Oct 2019- Nov 2019: Visiting Postdoc in Department of Agricultural Sciences at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- Sep 2015- Nov 2015: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany (http://remote-sensing.eu/753/ )
- May 2016- Jun 2016: DAAD ILUS Summer School 2016 Participant in Institute of Silviculture/Chair of Silviculture at University of Freiburg, Germany
- June 2016- Jul 2016: Visiting Research Scholar in Department of Remote Sensing at University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Awards and Honors
- 2019: Young Researcher Best Paper Award at IEEE International Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry held at University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2019: Centre d'étude de la forêt (CEF) travel grant to participate in IEEE international Conference on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry, October 24 to 26, 2019 in Naple, Italy
- 2018: EGU Roland Schlich travel support (Early Carrier Scientist’s Travel Support) to Present paper in EGU General Assembly 2018, Vienna, Austria
- 2016: German academic scholarship (DAAD) to participate in "Summer School: Integrated Land Use Systems (ILUS)" from May 23 to June 10, 2016 at University of Freiburg Germany
- Jan 2013- May 2017: PhD in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- July 2010- June 2012: M.Tech in Geomatics Engineering (IIT Roorkee, India )
- Jul 2005 – Jun 2009: Bachelors of Engineering (B.E.) from SVITS Indore, India
- Nov 2015 – Dec 2016: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on invasive plant species
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: DLR/RESA (German Aerospace Agency)
- Feb 2016 – Feb 2017: Object based approaches for remote sensing assisted assessment of forest biodiversity focusing on plant species diversity and forest structural parameters
Role: Co-investigator, Funding Agency: ESA (European Space Agency)
Published Peer Reviewed Articles
- Jain, P., Khare, S. , Sylvain, J-D., Patricia, R., Rossi, S. 2021. Predicting the location of maple stands under warming scenarios in two regions at the northern range in Quebec, Canada. Forest Sciences. (Accepted, In Press)
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., & Rossi, S., 2021. A 15-year spatio-temporal analysis of plant beta diversity using Landsat time series derived Rao's Q index. Ecological Indicators, 121, p.107105 DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.107105
- Silva, J. R. D., Rossi, S., Khare, S. , Longui, E.L., and Marcati, C.R. 2020. Disentangling the effects of genotype and 2 environment on growth and wood features of Balfourodendron riedelianum trees by common 4 garden experiments in Brazil. Forest, , 11(9), pp.905.DOI: 10.3390/f11090905
- Guo,X., Khare, S. , Silvestro, R., Huang, J., Sylvain, J-D., Delagrange, S., Rossi, S., 2020. Minimum spring temperatures at the provenance origin drive leaf phenology in sugar maple populations, tpaa096. Tree physiology. DOI: 10.1093/treephys/tpaa096
- Zhang, S., Buttò, V., Khare, S. , Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., Rossi, S., 2020. Calibrating phenocam data with phenological observations in black spruce. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing.DOI: 10.1080/07038992.2020.1761251
- Khare, S. , Drolet, G., Sylvain, J-D., Paré, M.C., & Rossi, S., 2019. Assessment of Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Black Spruce Bud Phenology across Quebec Based on MODIS-NDVI Time Series and Field Observations. Remote Sensing, 11, pp.2745.DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11232745
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., & Rossi, S., 2019. Forest beta-diversity analysis by remote sensing: How scale and sensors affect the Rao’s Q index. Ecological Indicators, 106, pp.105520.DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2019.105520
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H., Rossi, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2019. Fractional Cover Mapping of Invasive Plant Species by Combining Very High-Resolution Stereo and Multi-Sensor Multispectral Imageries. Forests, 10(7), pp.540.DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/f10070540
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Multi-scale assessment of invasive plant species diversity using Pléiades 1A, RapidEye and Landsat-8 data. Geocarto international, 33(7), pp.681-698.DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2017.1289562
- Khare, S. , Ghosh, S.K., Latifi, H., Vijay, S. and Dahms, T., 2017. Seasonal-based analysis of vegetation response to environmental variables in the mountainous forests of Western Himalaya using Landsat 8 data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(15), pp.4418-4442.DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2017.1320450
- Khare, S. and Ghosh, S.K., 2016. “Satellite Remote Sensing Technologies for Biodiversity Monitoring and Its Conservation”, International Journal of Advanced Earth Science and Engineering, 5(1), pp.375-389.DOI: 10.23953/cloud.ijaese.213
Under review Peer Reviewed Articles
- Khare, S. , Deslauriers, A., Morin, H. and Rossi, S., 2021. Comparison of PhenoCam and MODIS Satellite derived Black Spruce Phenology across Quebec, Canada. GIScience and Remote Sensing. (first revision ongoing).
- Buttò, V., Khare, S. , Drolet, G., Sylvain, J-D., Gennaretti, F., Deslauriers, A., Morin, H., and Rossi, S., 2021. Temporal separation in carbon allocation between shoot growth and latewood formation in boreal trees assessed by MODIS-NDVI time series and field observations. Global Ecology and Biogeography. (under review)
Peer Reviewed International Conference
- Khare, S. , and Rossi, S., 2019. Phenology analysis of moist deciduous forest using time series Landsat-8 remote sensing data. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Rossi, S., Zhang, S., Deslauriers, A., Butto, V., Morin, H., Huang, J.-G., Ren, H., and Khare, S. , 2019. Linking phenocam derived phenology with field observations in the boreal forest. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Fakhri, S. A., Sayadi, S., Latifi, H., Khare, S. , 2019. An optimized Enhanced Vegetation Index for Sparse Tree Cover Mapping across a Mountainous Region. IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Agriculture and Forestry (MetroAgriFor), 24-26 Oct. 2019.
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S.K., 2018. Full satellite remote sensing based approach to assess the plant and tree species diversity using high and very spatial resolution multi-spectral data. EGU General Assembly 2018(Vienna | Austria | 8–13 April 2018).
- Khare, S. , Latifi, H. and Ghosh, S. K., 2016. “Phenology Analysis of Forest Vegetation to Environmental Variables during-and Post-Monsoon Seasons in Western Himalayan Region of India”. ISPRS-International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, pp.15-19.
Workshops and Lectures
- 2019: Delivered public lecture at Department of Agricultural Science of University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- 2018: Invited as a Guest Speaker for “GIS and remote sensing techniques” at Technical University Denmark (DTU Space) on April 17, 2018
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for NRDMS - Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sponsored 21-day (Dec 1st to Dec 21st 2016) Winter School on Geospatial Technologies at Chitkara University Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
- 2016: Invited as a Resource Person for Advances in Image Processing and Remote Sensing (AIPRS-17) under TEQIP-II sponsored GIS and R course, organized by Deenbadhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology Sonepat Haryana for duration March 6 -10, 2017